Information and Documentation Required as Part of the Adoption Home Study
Information pertinent to the home study is collected as part of the home study interview. These documents are attached to the home study report, with copies sent to the presiding judge and to your attorney. A copy is also kept in my file. All documents must be signed and dated, as applicable, and are good for the period of one year, unless otherwise stated. After that time, forms will need to be updated with a corresponding updated interview to keep your home study active and current.
Following is a list of the required information to be discussed and/or collected during the home study process. Forms can be downloaded for your convenience.
- Orientation letter with checklist of required items
- Autobiography outline
- Reference letter outline-3 letters of reference are required; One may be from a relative, the other two should be from friends or professionals who have a good historical knowledge of your relationship with your spouse, if applicable, and with your interactions with children. Letters should be signed, dated, with contact phone numbers included. Letters need to be sent directly to me in a sealed envelope to protect the reference confidentiality.
- Financial assessment form-outlining assets, debts, monthly payments, Insurance and other financial resources
- Physical examination forms-for all persons living in the home-previous physicals can be utilized and reported on my form but must have occurred within the past year.
- OSBI/FBI (Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation/Federal Bureau of Investigation) Fingerprint background check- 3 pages of instructions including form to accompany $50 fee per person for every individual 18 or older living in the home. Fingerprint cards, $50 per person, and form titled “Request for result of a National Fingerprint Background Check” for each individual is mailed to DHS address printed on the form.
Please note: If you have had an OSBI/FBI background search conducted in the past three years, the FBI portion of the background check is good for that time period and you have only to update the OSBI name search portion, which is good for one year. Cost for an updated name search is $20/per person and you will need to download the next form: Request for Background Check and submit to the same address as above.
- Oklahoma Department of Human Services Abuse and Neglect Registry form This 2 page form must be accompanied by my letter of verification of a pending adoption home study. No money is required for this background check.
My letter will be sent to you after our initial contact is made. After completion, you will mail this form and my letter to the address at the bottom of the form.
(Optional-Should I need to obtain/release report findings to or from a confidential source such as medical treatment reports, school reports or third party confidential resource information)
Additionally, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Copy of Marriage License
- Copy of Divorce Decrees (if applicable)
- Copy of first two pages of past year’s income tax return
- Copy of health insurance card (both sides)
- Verification of Employment (letter from employer)
- Copies of veterinarian records for all animals in the home
Please make copies of these documents and keep a copy of these documents for your files. You will be sent a copy of my report, after your review of factual information, without attachments.
You will be expected to have a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors in your home. Guns will be expected to be in a locked gun safe and made available for inspection.
Should you need additional information or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call me at 918-481-0026.
I am honored to be a part of your adoptive process and happy to provide this service to your family at this exciting season in your life.